Thursday, May 22, 2014

Time Lapse Test

After first testing the camera, it didn't take long for me to hook the Pi up to a battery power (I'm using a solar-powered USB phone charger) and test it outdoors. First, I found a suitable "case" to house the Pi & camera temporarily.

This Gatorade packet canister will work as a case for now
I taped the camera module to a piece of plastic with a small hole cutout and slid a used spool from a roll of Gorilla tape to hold the camera in place (and it makes a nice lens hood too). I routed the USB cable out the other end to the battery pack/charger.
Powering up the Pi in a makeshift case from battery
After powering it up I ran a quick test by ssh-ing to the host and commanding series of pictures. I wrote a very simple shell script to do this, and it works, but there is a built-in option within the raspistill program for timelapse. Having verified that this works, it's time to set it outdoors and make a short time-lapse.
Front porch time-lapse test in progress
Just a random thought about using this in various places. It could be easily mistake for an explosive device, so keep that in mind if you do something like this to prevent a panic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home